All our School Programs meet the BC Ministry of Education’s Direct Experience Criteria in the Environmental Learning and Experience: an Interdisciplinary Guide for Teachers and the Prescribed Learning Outcomes.
What to Expect on Your Tour
Get hands on with your natural environment with Allan Brooks Nature Centre!
During your tour, your class will experience four engaging activity stations of your choosing in a 2.5 hour session of outdoor and indoor fun! When your classes arrive, you’ll be greeted by a Nature Interpreter who will guide your group to your lunch spot where students may leave their bags. After a brief introduction, your class will be divided into four groups, each going to a separate station lead by one of our enthusiastic volunteers. Each group will partake in two stations before having a 15 minute snack break on our Outdoor Nature Play Area. Afterwards, you’ll round off your day with the remaining two stations.
Classes are more than welcome to enjoy an outdoor lunch at the Nature Centre given advance notice to the Education Coordinator.
Seasonal Combination Packages
In the Spring experience the tranquillity of Kalamalka Lake with a combination field trip to Bishop Wild Bird Sanctuary. In the Fall, explore the awe-inspiring story of our splashy swimmers with a combination field trip to the Kokanee Salmon Program hosted in Coldstream Creek Park in collaboration with the Kingfisher Interpretive Centre. From September 20-24th 2016, swoop and soar with the Raptor Centre from Duncan, hosted in our very own Peregrine Theater!
Please be aware that teachers are responsible for bussing between locations in combination tours.
Kokanee Salmon Tours
Are you saving your expedition to the grassland for the spring, but still want to enjoy the drama and struggles of the Salmon down by the creek? Good news: we are now offering Kokanee Salmon Only tours as well as our combination packages! These 1.5 hour tours fill up quickly due to the short running season, so book in quickly to secure tour spot!
Field Trip Fees
- $4.75 per student for a tour of the Allan Brooks Nature Centre
- $6.75 per student for a Seasonal Combination Tour
- New! $3.75 per student for a Kokanee Salmon Only tour
- Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Home School Coordinators are free of charge
- One adult supervisor per ten students is free of charge
- $3.50 per additional adult
- To Register by phone call the Nature Centre at 250-260-4227
- To Register by email contact [email protected] with the subject line “ School Booking”
- Suggested Morning session is from 9:00-11:30am.
- Suggested Afternoon session is from 12:00 – 2:30 pm.
- Public washrooms
- Wheelchair accessible
- Covered picnic tables
- Bus parking
- First aid kit on site
Expectations At The Centre
We are guests in the home of the plants and animals living around the Nature Centre. Before your visit, please remind your students that we are welcome to admire this home and study it – and then leave it as we found it.
- Stay on the trails
- Do not pull (or eat!) plants unless told otherwise
- No smoking on the site
- Supervision is the responsibility of the teacher and parent helpers
Notice: Due to limited funds Bussing Subsidies are not available for the 2017 Education Programs
The Nature Centre is perched atop Mission Hill at 250 Allan Brooks Way, Vernon, BC
School Programs Offered Monday-Friday 9am-4pm